I am in a discussion on another blog about Autism and sociopaths. Let me state this unequivocally.
It is possible for a child to be a sociopath and have autism.
How do I know? I don’t have to look any further than my son David. He has facets of autism. and he is a sociopath. Sure at 11 they can’t actually diagnose him as a sociopath. But he has been diagnosed with a conduct disorder, and anti-social behaviors. Plus, he is on anti-psychotics to control those behaviors.
- Manipulative and conning
- Grandiose sense of self.
- Pathological lying
- Lack of remorse, shame or guilt.
- Shallow emotions
- Callousness/lack of empathy
- Need for stimulation
- Poor behavior controls/lack of impulse control
- Criminal or entrepreneurial personality – changes their image as needed to avoid prosecution.
These are just some of the indicators. Looking at a full list of indicators is enough to make me ill. Of those, I list the ones that David exhibits consistently.
the DSM IV
Antisocial personality disorder is characterized by a lack of regard for the moral or legal standards in the local culture. There is a marked inability to get along with others or abide by societal rules. Individuals with this disorder are sometimes called psychopaths or sociopaths.
Diagnostic Criteria (DSM-IV)
- Since the age of fifteen there has been a disregard for and violation of the right’s of others, those right’s considered normal by the local culture, as indicated by at least three of the following:
- Repeated acts that could lead to arrest.
- Conning for pleasure or profit, repeated lying, or the use of aliases.
- Failure to plan ahead or being impulsive.
- Repeated assaults on others.
- Reckless when it comes to their or others safety.
- Poor work behavior or failure to honor financial obligations.
- Rationalizing the pain they inflict on others.
- At least eighteen years in age.
- Evidence of a Conduct Disorder, with its onset before the age of fifteen.
- Symptoms not due to another mental disorder.
And our doctors have told us that if David was 18, this is the diagnosis that they would give.
- Sociopaths in the Scene (kinkylittlegirl.net)
- Profile of the Sociopath (theeleventhmuse.wordpress.com)
- Comparing Symptoms of Autism Spectrum Disorders in a Developmentally Disabled Adult Population Using the Current DSM-IV-TR Diagnostic Criteria and the Proposed DSM-5 Diagnostic Criteria (leftbrainrightbrain.co.uk)
- What Is Autism? (everydayhealth.com)
- Teachers get lesson on autism awareness (wsls.com)
- How Autism is Changing the World for Everybody [Psychology] (io9.com)
- How To Avoid Dating a Sociopath in 10 Simple Steps (nebraskaenergyobserver.wordpress.com)